About Me

My name is Christopher-ACE- Azevedo, I am a life long New Bedford resident retired city Firefighter and a disabled Combat Veteran. I am in my 4-5th year here at UMASS as an Adult learner majoring in Psychology, Health and Sociology and working on my Pre-Med requirements. I became interested in Veterans Advocacy after my return home from my second deployment to Iraq in 2005 where I was wounded. Soon after I sought medical attention, and I was treated poorly by the VA health Care System and grossly over medicated that led to an addiction.  The cost was great and eventually also led to a loss of family and temporarily my housing. After going into an impatient  program for Addiction and PTSD I returned home and entered school at BCC. I initially did not know what I wanted to do and a doctor at Spaulding Rehabilitation hospital was amazed at my recovery and offered me the ability to shadow him. Since then I have not looked back, I have also completed 60 days of ER rotations, 30 days in a medicated treatment facility, guest speaking, peer mentoring and ran group therapy at the Local Veterans Transition House for a year. In 2018 I was voted Veteran of the year in South Coast and a year later was nominated for a Red Cross Hero Award along with recognition from local chapters of the Vietnam Veterans of America and the Veterans of Foreign Wars for my work locally in our community.  I occasionally Guest speak on veterans issues  and continue to strive for housing equality and benefits for all those who have served.

Skip to toolbar